1. Sun exposure. While things such as skin cancers, pigmentation and redness are obvious, recent studies are showing that Aussie women show more sagging and volume loss of skin than northern hemisphere women. It is thought that the sun damaged outer layer (epidermis) loses its elasticity and is less able to support the lower layers.
2. Smoking. Forget the lung damage, smoking not only causes wrinkles from puckering up. Skin is the body’s largest organ with a poor blood supplying only the dermis. So smokers’ skin is pale because of the depletion of oxygen from the blood supply due to smoking. Sadly, smoking also uses up vitamin C which is responsible for synthesizing collagen and aids healing, thereby making skin less plump and more prone to sagging. I have seen friends who have finally given up smoking, suddenly have more blooming skin.
3. Stress. Stress causes increased cortisol to be released, putting your body in fight or flight mode. It is too busy trying to deal with threats and the blood supply is rerouted away from non-essential needs at the time, like skin. Prolonged stress will work like cigarettes, depleting blood and subsequent oxygen and nutrients from our outermost organ.
4. Diet. Not enough good protein in your diet can affect collagen production, while a diet poor in fruit and veg does not have enough antioxidants to mop up the harmful free radicals. Free radicals are unpaired electrons that are flying around trying to steal electrons from other molecules, causing damage along the way amongst cells.Antioxidants pair up with the electrons and hence neutralize the oxidative stress.
Diet also includes water. Water is what we are mostly made from, so not drinking enough is certainly going to make our largest organ dry out and not look it’s best.
5. Lack of sleep. Cellular repair and turnover happens while we sleep, so it stands to reason that a lack of the Zzzs will impact our skin. Sleep problems are often linked to stress and also to too much electronic light exposure. We need our melatonin to rise about two hours before bed, and artificial light from devices can neutralize it.
Aside from obvious life changes you can make to slow aging as discussed above, other things are available to help improve skin quality. Creams, light therapies (IPL, lasers and LED), microneedling,threads, dermal filers and anti wrinkle injections can all be used to slow and even reverse aging signs. All of these are available at Revive.
Using antioxidant Cosmeceutical grade skin care such as Beaute Pacifique’s Creme Metamorphique or Super 3 can help to increase skin’s collagen. Proven with ultrasound that shows increased collagen with use of these products.
Other vitamin serums from ASAP such as new DNA serum which uses stem cell technology, Vitamins A, B and C serums all help with cellular function and reduce oxidative stress.
Call Revive 3801 5824 for a free consultation to see what would most suit your needs.